Ready to discover a country with golden beaches, cool castles, and yummy pastries? Let’s dive into Portugal, the land of explorers!
Lisbon – The Hilly Capital
Lisbon is bright, fun, and full of life!
- Trams: Hop on the yellow trams and go up and down the city’s hills.
- Belém Tower: A cool tower by the sea. Imagine being a guard looking out for pirates!
- Pastéis de Belém: Yummy custard tarts. Make sure to sprinkle them with cinnamon!
Porto – A River’s Tale
Porto is famous for its river and the tasty drink named after the city.
- Ribeira: Colorful houses by the river where you can watch boats pass by.
- Livraria Lello: A magical bookstore with a red spiral staircase. It looks like it’s from a fairy tale!
- Port Wine: This sweet drink comes from here. Maybe your parents will let you have a tiny taste.
The Algarve – Sun and Sea
Dreaming of beaches and sunny days? The Algarve is the place!
- Beaches: Golden sands and blue waters. Perfect for sandcastles!
- Caves: Take a boat trip to see hidden caves along the coast.
- Seafood: Try grilled sardines or fish rice. So tasty!
- Language: People in Portugal speak Portuguese. “Hello” is “Olá”!
- Explorers: Portugal had famous explorers like Vasco da Gama who traveled to faraway lands.
- Music: Fado is a type of song from Portugal. It sounds sad but is very beautiful.
Sintra – Castles in the Clouds
Sintra has palaces and castles that look like they’re from fairy tales.
- Pena Palace: A colorful palace on a hill. It looks like a castle from a storybook!
- Moorish Castle: Ancient walls and towers with amazing views from the top.
- Quinta da Regaleira: A garden full of secret tunnels and mysterious wells.
Spain and Portugal 2-Week Itinerary
Discover recommendations from travel experts for the best things to do in 14 days in Spain and Portugal and practical tips to plan your trip.
Read more: Spain and Portugal 2-Week Itinerary
Portugal has super tasty foods!
- Bacalhau: It’s a codfish dish. They say there are 365 ways to cook it, one for each day of the year!
- Caldo Verde: A green soup with potatoes, greens, and sausage. Perfect for cold days.
- Portuguese Custard Tarts: Creamy tarts with crispy pastry. So yummy!
Tips for Adventurers
- Friendly People: Portuguese people love kids and are super friendly.
- Stay Safe: The streets can be very hilly. Wear comfy shoes and watch your step.
- Try New Foods: From fish dishes to sweet treats, there’s so much to taste!