Ready to explore lands of windmills, tulips, and canals? Welcome to the Netherlands, where old traditions meet cool modern fun!
Amsterdam – City of Canals
Amsterdam is like a giant water maze with bikes everywhere!
- Canal Tours: Hop on a boat and see the city from the water.
- Van Gogh Museum: Discover colorful paintings and learn about a famous artist.
- Anne Frank House: Hear the story of a brave girl during tough times.
Join our Facebook community
World Wild Schooling – BENELUX (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg)
Windmills & Tulips – Symbols of the Netherlands
These tall machines and bright flowers are everywhere!
- Zaanse Schans: See real windmills and learn how they work.
- Keukenhof Gardens: Walk among fields of colorful tulips in spring.
Keukenhof – The Garden of Europe
Keukenhof, often called “The Garden of Europe,” is one of the world’s largest flower gardens!
- Blooming Flowers: Visit between March and May to see millions of tulips in all colors of the rainbow.
- Theme Gardens: Explore different gardens, like the Japanese garden, natural garden, and historical garden.
- Fun Activities: Kids can enjoy treasure hunts, petting zoos, and mazes. Don’t forget to take a boat tour around the flower fields!
- Events: Throughout the season, Keukenhof hosts cool events like the Flower Parade and photography workshops.
Here are all the practical tips you need for a great trip to Keukenhof and the tulip fields of Lisse, such as when to visit, what to do with kids and where to stay.
Read more: Keukenhof
Rotterdam – Modern and Cool
This city is all about new designs and cool buildings!
- Cube Houses: Check out these tilted cube-shaped homes.
- Maritime Museum: Learn about boats and the world of sailors.
Kinderdijk – Windmills and More
Kinderdijk is famous for its iconic row of 19 windmills!
- UNESCO World Heritage: These windmills, built around 1740, are a World Heritage site. They show how the Dutch have managed water for centuries.
- Museum Windmills: Some windmills are open to the public. Inside, see how a miller and his family lived.
- Boat Tours: Take a boat trip to view the windmills from the water. It’s a relaxing way to see them all!
Here is why Kinderdijk Windmills is a great destination for families with kids, how to get there, and practical tips to explore the site.
Read more: Kinderdijk
Efteling – Magical Theme Park
Efteling is a fairy-tale theme park that’s fun for the whole family!
- Storybook Characters: See your favorite fairy tales come to life. Meet giants, witches, and talking trees.
- Exciting Rides: Whether you like thrilling roller coasters or calm boat rides, Efteling has something for everyone.
- Enchanting Shows: Watch magical theater performances and water light shows that dazzle.
- Overnight Stay: Want to extend the magic? Stay in the Efteling hotel or holiday village for a dreamy night.
Efteling is the biggest amusement park in the Netherlands and one of the oldest in the world. It is a magical place where both adults and kids can have fun!
Read more: Efteling
Dutch food is simple but super tasty!
- Stroopwafels: Sweet waffles filled with caramel syrup.
- Cheese Markets: Try famous Dutch cheeses like Gouda and Edam.
- Poffertjes: Fluffy mini pancakes topped with powdered sugar.
- Bikes Everywhere: People in the Netherlands love to bike. There are more bikes than people!
- Below Sea Level: A lot of the country is actually below sea level. But clever Dutch engineers keep the water out with dikes and pumps.
- King’s Day: Every April, everyone wears orange and celebrates the king’s birthday with fun games and parties.
Tips for Young Travelers
- Safety First: Always watch out for bikes. They have their own lanes and traffic lights.
- Learn a Few Words: While many Dutch people speak English, they’ll love it if you say “Dank je” (thank you) or “Hallo” (hello).
- Climate: It can be rainy, so pack an umbrella or raincoat.
Discover the best Christmas markets in Europe. Explore magical European Christmas markets and find your perfect holiday destination!
Discover an original Christmas market in a cave in Valkenburg, Netherlands. Read on for practical details to plan your visit.
Christmas markets are the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. From twinkling lights to delicious treats, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. But when you’re travelling with children, it can be hard to know which markets are the best – and which ones make the most sense for your family. So, here are…
Domburg is a sea side resort in Zeeland, Netherlands. It offers an endless, sandy beach with many beach pavillions and lots of activities for kids
Lego Discovery Center Scheveningen is a fun place for young Lego fans. Combine it with Sea Life or one of the other activities in the Hague and around and you got a great weekend!
De Jonge Johannes is a kids friendly restaurant with a playground, a kids farm, a huge air trampoline, mini cars and pancakes! You can easily spend hald a day here with happy kids
Are you looking for a fun and educational activity to do with your family in Amsterdam? Look no further than Nemo Science Museum!
Travel Planning Resources
Join Our Communities
🌟 Join us at World Wild Schooling and our other groups by clicking the buttons below! 🌟
All places mentioned above are also gathered on the map!
Indoor and outdoor activities, kids friendly cafés/ restaurants, hotels and more all under separate layers